Tuesday, May 11, 2010

GET OFF YOUR BUT


I read a quote once that said something like, (I’m paraphrasing) “The human mind is never more agile or quick than when it is engaged in rationalization.” So true, and I would add, when it is making excuses.

Have you said or thought any of these?
- “I’ve tried to change, but this is just the way I am.”
- “I would say something, but I might sound stupid.”
- “I would like to, but I’m too old/fat/clumsy/young/slow/_______.”
- “I would go, but he/she/they would get mad/sad/annoyed/_______.”
- “I want _________, but __________.”
- “I would share my feelings, but I am uncomfortable/ would cry/ feel foolish.”
- “I think about telling ________ the truth, but I am afraid ____________.”
- “I would get up and exercise before work, but I am not a morning person.”

We want our world to make sense so we rationalize our behavior and make excuses. We analyze ourselves and try to figure out “why” we operate or think the way we do. We are the sum of all our experiences and no two of us have the same set of variables. At the end of the day – or sadly for many, at the end of our lives – we didn’t figure it out and we didn’t change or live the way we wanted to.

Read the rest of the article here and come back and share your thoughts and insights1

No comments: