Friday, October 23, 2009

It's All in Your Head

Scientific studies have estimated that you have about 60,000 thoughts each day. That’s pretty impressive huh? Until you realize that 98% of those are pretty much the same ones you had yesterday.

Victor Frankel was an Austrian neurologist and psychologist who survived the Holocaust in a Nazi concentration camp. He chronicles his experiences as an inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding meaning in all forms of existence, even the most sordid ones, and thus a reason to continue living.

Under Frankel’s care and encouragement, if a prisoner felt that he could no longer endure the realities of camp life, he found a way out in his mental life – an invaluable opportunity to dwell in the spiritual domain, the one that the SS were unable to destroy. Spiritual life strengthened the prisoner, helped him adapt, and thereby improved his chances of survival. Frankel attributes his own survival to the strength and health of his thought life.

I hope none of us ever have to face the horrors of a concentration camp – to challenge ourselves to maintain a positive outlook and a healthy thought life under such frightening conditions. Yet our everyday thought processes can trip us up in ways we may be completely unaware of.

Last week I discovered that Ravi Zacharias, a remarkable man and brilliant Christian apologist, is going to be at ASU for an open forum. The event is free but a ticket is required. I had two days before leaving town to secure tickets. I should also note that he is on my list of the people I would most like to meet in my life – strong motivation to get myself a seat! Procrastination is a thought process that creates obstacles in my life. Perhaps you are familiar with internal phrases like, “I will get that done tomorrow”; or “I’ll be going that way in a couple days and will take care of it then” or “I still have plenty of time.”

I left town for 4 days, procrastinated for 2 more and – SOLD OUT! This morning I had a good cry, chastised myself heartily and determined that I will go on the day of the event and camp out for several hours. I spoke to my friend Sally (thank you!) who suggested I call and see if there are volunteer opportunities that would get me inside. I am on a “list” and must call back on Monday morning. I repeated my name four times, expressed my strong desire to be a part of this event, and begged. We shall see…

Metacognition is a term that entails thinking about what you are thinking about vs. just having thoughts. People of strength are those who are firmly anchored. They are clear about their values, they are critical thinkers, and their thought life contributes to – and solidifies – their convictions. Thoughts are just thoughts. We don’t have to believe them or act on them. They have no meaning until we attach meaning and emotion to them. AND our thoughts have power. Acting on them after careful consideration translates that power into results.

I sincerely hope I will be able to hear Ravi Zacharias speak. If so, it will be an exciting and precious time indeed and made more so by the near miss. The point is, I could have avoided all of this turmoil by practicing a little metacognition, by moving and acting on a thought rather than dismissing it without really considering the ramifications. Stop and consider for a moment what the 98% of recurring thoughts each day could generate if we put a little thought into our thoughts. Where are you draining energy and power in your thought life? How could you shift your thinking to become an anchor and a place of strength for you? How does your spiritual connection generate power and conviction in your life?

“Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if
anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8,9 Bible

Blessings,
Beth

No comments: