Thursday, October 8, 2009

Speak Your Significance

I love writing this newsletter. I love who you are and how you express yourselves and share your hearts and minds. I love your willingness to be vulnerable and just put it out there. I love being able to pass on your wisdom.

Did you know that MOMS constitute the largest blog group in the world? Talk about power and something to say! Recently a reader discovered that her blog - temporarily a source of pain, embarrassment, and hiding - had become the catalyst for some deep knowing, personal significance, and the voice of heart expression.

She was asked at a casual social gathering with people she didn't know well,why she thought anyone would be interested in her mundane daily activities. Here are some excerpts of her thoughts.

"That very thought has crossed my own mind periodically. It's that dark, nasty voice that tries to deter us from doing anything significant or meaningful. It's that voice that makes us our own worst enemy. I have fought that rotten voice off for the 3+ years I have blogged and crafted, reminding myself to ignore it and carry on. Well that one fateful night last year was the physical manifestation of "the voice". It looked me in the eye and told me that I have no place speaking publicly. That my life is insignificant and no one cares. Sadly, that was more than I could take. I subconsciously decided to close up shop and quietly retreat back to my apparently insignificant life as a stay at home mom."

She admits to being disappointed in herself for not recognizing the mean spirited intent, calling it out, and moving on.

"I allowed this person to take my voice. Not the nasty one but the self-expressive one. The one that makes me feel alive and connected. The one that allows me to vent all of this creative and occasionally stifled energy and, in turn, makes me a better mother...a better person.

Over the months that I remained quiet, a very sad thing happened. I lost my voice. I forgot all that makes my mind race and my pulse speed up. Last week I realized how much I missed this little outlet of mine. Sharing about my family and daily activities is fun and I love that my distant relatives and friends can stay in the know, but what I missed most was sharing me. My thoughts, my hardships, my isms and revelations. I processed my thoughts this way and, most importantly, I received good, positive feedback from people who cared.

So here I am, confessing the truth and standing up to say...no yell

MY LIFE MATTERS. MY THOUGHTS MATTER. I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER I WANT TO SAY IN AS PUBLIC A PLACE AS I WANT TO. YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ IT...HECK YOU DON'T EVER HAVE TO COME HERE AT ALL. BUT IF YOU DO, MY DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN. AMEN"

Where are you denying your voice? Your heart? Your significance?
Where have you not told yourself the truth?
What are you longing to say - or YELL?

1 comment:

Lanette Rajski said...

I LOVE this! I'm pretty sure I was a loyal follower of that blog and I miss it, so I hope that she will share her voice again. She does have something important to say and what she says DOES matter! Thanks for sharing that and inspiring me to not be silent!