Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mama's Wings


n my quiet time the other day, I was reading a little book called Today is Your Best Day by Roy Lessin. He was talking about how God uses the term "wings" as a way of demonstrating his presence, protection, covering, and strength. I was struck by the similarities to how we feel about our mama wings. The summer after my divorce, when my oldest two were going off to college and my youngest and I were moving to another state, I convinced them to give me a week - just us - no schedule, phones, friends, or distractions. I am pretty sure I said something like, "I need my chicks about me, under my wings, before we all scatter." I am using some of Mr. Lessin's word pictures - they are lovely and as moms we are an extension of God's love to our kids.

We use our wings to shield and provide relief. We can't hide them from every trial (nor would we want to) but we can be a buffer and a safe haven for them to come home to when we open our wings.

Our wings pull our kids close to our heart and into our care. When they are close we can hear their cry, get in touch with their need, and feel their heartbeat. It is there that we are close enough to whisper to each other. Just this afternoon I was snuggling my 1 year old grandson. As he closed his eyes I whispered, "Your grandma is utterly, wildly, crazy, head-over-heels in love with you." He didn't open his eyes, but he smiled around his pacifier.

Read the rest of the article and post your memories of your own Mama's wings and how you protect, cover and strengthen your chicks.
Blessings,
Beth

No comments: